Once you’ve decided to apply to the Air Force Academy, the first step in the process is to apply to become a candidate.
The USAFA Pre-Candidate Questionnaire
By submitting the Air Force Academy Pre-Candidate Questionnaire to USAFA admissions, you provide information to help the admissions team determine if you meet the basic qualifications to become a candidate. The Pre-Candidate Questionnaire is a tool for the Air Force Academy to screen applicants to see if they have what it takes to become a successful cadet and eventually, a successful Air Force Officer.
What is on the Air Force Academy’s Pre-Candidate Questionnaire?
- Basic information (DOB, SSN, etc)
- Your congressional district
- If you’re interested in applying for Air Force ROTC
- High school information and GPA
- PSAT, PLAN or SAT/ACT scores (Currently these are optional for the Class of 2026 until you become a candidate)
Is the Candidate Questionnaire for the Air Force Academy Open?
Yes! The Air Force Academy’s Pre-Candidate Questionnaire is officially open for the Class of 2026. The Air Force Academy application (The Candidate Kit) for 2026 is open as well and the application deadline is rolling based on when you submit your candidate kit.
Expect the Pre-Candidate Questionnaire to open for the Class of 2027 in the January of 2022. Typically the Pre-Candidate Questionnaire opens in mid-January of your junior year of high school.
You can start your application journey with USAFA and fill out the Pre-Candidate Questionnaire here by creating an account for the online portal.
If you want more guidance on this process, we’ve created an online course to help you navigate the entire application. The course walks you through filling out your Pre-Candidate Questionnaire, filling out the entire application, and much more.
- The Congressional nomination process
- How to craft your essays
- Guidance on the medical DoDMERB process
- Acing the interviews with your USAFA Admissions Liaison Officer (ALO) and Congressional nomination interview panel
- Preparing for the Candidate Fitness Assessment
- What parts of the application are most important to each Service Academy
The course covers all five Service Academies and how their application processes differ, in case you are interested in more than one Service Academy. We hope to see you in the course!